- 7 Best Ankle Holsters On The Market
- 1. ComfortTac Ultimate Ankle Holster For Concealed Carry
- 2. UTG Concealed Ankle Holster
- 3. LIRISY Ankle Holster for Concealed Carry
- 4. Uncle Mike’s Law Enforcement Off-Duty Ankle Holster
- 5. LPV PRODUCTS Gun Ankle Holster For Concealed Carry
- 6. Galco Gunleather Ankle Lite / Ankle Holster
- 7. Topmeet Upgraded Ankle Pistol Holster
- What Is An Ankle Holster?
- Why Do I Need It?
- Benefits And Drawbacks Of Ankle Holsters
- How To Pick The Most Suitable Ankle Holster?
- Notable Features To Consider
- Best Ankle Holster Comparison Chart
- Safety Tips
- Wrapping Up
Did you know that holsters were originally called a “sack”? No? Then we must be lucky that we do not live in ancient times and have mastered the skill of making things practical and convenient to use. And as far as carrying guns is concerned, we have the best ankle holster guide along with our top pick ankle holster reviews on the market to give you the full spectrum of conceal carry options you have.
And since you may wonder why hiding your gun from the nosy public is important, let us just say that sometimes people’s apparel is enough said. Moreover, boot holsters are a great option for those who have to conceal a secondary or a backup weapon.
So, all you need to do is scroll down and read away.
ComfortTac Ultimate Ankle Holster For Concealed Carry
||View On Amazon|
UTG Concealed Ankle Holster
||View On Amazon|
LIRISY Ankle Holster for Concealed Carry
||View On Amazon|
Uncle Mike’s Law Enforcement Off-Duty Ankle Holster
||View On Amazon|
LPV PRODUCTS Gun Ankle Holster For Concealed Carry
||View On Amazon|
Galco Gunleather Ankle Lite / Ankle Holster
||View On Amazon|
7 Best Ankle Holsters On The Market
1. ComfortTac Ultimate Ankle Holster For Concealed Carry
This product is made of a high-quality neoprene band which is a much better option than elastic bands in terms of durability. The ComfortTac’s ankle holster comes also with a foam pad which is right behind the gun to ensure that your weapon will not hurt your leg.
Another great advantage is the metal snap on the retention strap as this will give you a silent draw of your firearm. The ankle holster is ideal for any handguns that are less than 6.5 inches long. That means that you can use it with micro pistols, subcompacts, compacts, and revolvers.
In addition, there are 2 available sizes to perfectly fit your ankle circumference and hence secure the product on it. The 4-inch high band has a strong Velcro to prevent the holster from slipping down. However, the material for the gun turns out to be too stretchy and your weapon may come out from the bottom.
- 30-day buy and try money back guarantee
- Ambidextrous for left and right-hand draw
- Fits most J Frame revolvers
- Easy to operate metal snap
- Can’t be used when running or jogging as the strap doesn’t stay
- No extra padding for the gun barrel to protect your skin from rubbing
2. UTG Concealed Ankle Holster
This product is a perfect fit for all compact pistols and moreover, it is very easy to use. The UTG Concealed Ankle Holster comes with an adjustable calf strap and double vertical security straps. Also, the padded wraparound strap is enhanced by a hook and loop for a better secure fit.
You can wear this item on either leg although the pistol may face the other way. However, you may find that the ideal position for you to quickly reach and take out your gun is outside your right leg or inside your left.
Besides, if you wear this holster inside your lower limb, then it will not be noticeable. Moreover, due to its thick strong elastic pocket, this holster can match up to whatever pistol is inserted to it. The only thing that you have to consider, though, is the weight of your gun as the heavier your gun is the more it will flop.
- Lightweight – only 2.22 pounds
- Velcro straps with unlimited adjustment, even for small legs
- Manufactured with padding
- Can fit any pistol, even small frame type guns
- No padding on the ankle
- The holster may rotate even with tightened up straps on calf and ankle
3. LIRISY Ankle Holster for Concealed Carry
The LIRISY ankle holster comes with great design features for extra comfort which will definitely make you forget that you are wearing a holster. With its breathable neoprene materials and foam pad that stretches beyond the barrel of your pistol, you will certainly feel the ease in using this product. What is more, the pad will protect your ankle or leg from excessive pressure.
This item comes in 2 sizes so that you can choose the one that is most suitable for your height. The 15-inch band is recommended for legs of up to 13 inches, while the 17-inch band is ideal for lower limbs of up to 15 inches. Also, the adjustable calf strap will keep your gun in place and prevent it from slipping down as well.
Another great thing about this ankle holster is the fact that it can fit a wide variety of small private carry types of a gun like the Sig Sauer P238, the Ruger LCP and Bodyguard .380 and compact pistols like the Glock 42,43,36 and 26.
- Durable button
- Optimal use from left and right-handed gun owners
- Easy maintenance
- Works well with 6-inch high boots
- No magazine pouch
- Not appropriate for jogging
4. Uncle Mike’s Law Enforcement Off-Duty Ankle Holster
Here we have a product which is made from first-class durable and tear-resistant Cordura nylon. Uncle Mike’s ankle holster is an excellent item because of its material –the soft knit fabric will decrease the risk of skin irritations and prevent itchiness.
Also, there is a nylon web retention strap which strengthens the thumb break. Moreover, you can easily adjust this top strap in order to suit the needs of your pistol. And our team really likes this holster’s versatility as you can choose the right size product depending on the gun you own. Furthermore, the fit guide table lists all the general and specific pistols that can fit each size.
And you will even find it to be easy and convenient use for your hammerless gun. However, mini revolvers like NAA 22 Magnum will be surprisingly too small and slip down effortlessly from the holster. Besides, wearing low cut socks with this product may not feel as much comfortable as when used with long ones.
- Right-hand and Left-hand models available
- A convenient fit guide with 5 available sizes holsters to choose from
- Cycling or riding is trouble-free
- A wraparound design that fits the holster strap tightly
- Needs padding for the retention upper strap
- Will not fit well with larger calves
5. LPV PRODUCTS Gun Ankle Holster For Concealed Carry
The adjustability to any calf size is perhaps what sets this product apart from any other models. The LPV PRODUCTS ‘ankle holster comes with padded neoprene straps that will hold the item right on the place without slipping down. Also, the straps are elastic and can easily stretch to fit a wide range of calf sizes– from 11 to 19 inches.
The material is breathable and durable, and what is more, it is safe for your skin as it cannot cause allergies or skin irritations. The 9mm ankle holster has a durable snap button to ease drawing your firearm quickly as well. As for the features it includes, let us just say that there is a magazine pouch right next to your gun’s place, which can be used for extra magazine, a knife or any other non-lethal weapon.
Moreover, the pouch’s strap is made of genuine leather for extra longevity. This police gear ankle handgun holster can fit all compact handguns and besides, be used by both right and left-handed people.
- Sweat resistant and ergonomic
- Can be used by active people
- Special pad to protect your ankle from the gun barrel
- No straps to the extra pouch for extra convenience
- Straps that hold the gun and the extra magazine are not adjustable
- Velcro on calf and ankle straps may stop sticking
6. Galco Gunleather Ankle Lite / Ankle Holster
The origin is one of the most important factors when buying a holster and therefore Galco’s ankle holster will prove its quality as it is manufactured in the USA. It comes with one wide strap that wraparounds your ankle with the amazing 4×2 inches Velcro strip.
Also, the attachment pad is 4 square inches to secure this item on the place. The product is made of center cut steer hide material and moreover, you will really enjoy the feeling of the sheepskin padding between the holster and your ankle.
As for your leg‘s fitting size, we can assure you that this holster is universal and can be suitable for ankles up to 13 inches in circumference. Furthermore, there is a reinforced thumb break retention strap for added convenience. In addition, Galco offers a separately sold calf adjustment strap if this is how you like wearing your holster.
- 2 colors to choose from – black and khaki
- Available models for left-handed people
- Can be worn with combat boots
- Made for semiautomatic pistols and double-action revolvers
- Will not fit wider guns like J Frame or Walter PPK
- No pad over your handgun on the top
7. Topmeet Upgraded Ankle Pistol Holster
If you are looking for a comfortable and practical ankle holster, then the ComfortTac’s product is the right one for you. We really like the personalized show on the edges that comes in different colors, as well as the fact that this item is offered in L and XL sizes.
What’s more, this ankle holster is made of neoprene band which is not only breathable but also can be easily adjusted to fit your leg. Moreover, there is a 3-loop nylon belt fixed to the band that goes around your calf to prevent the holster from slipping down. There is an additional pad and a thick foam on the inside of the holster as well, so your ankles and thighs will be safe from harm.
Another advantage of this product is the magazine pouch and the extended paddle for extra comfort while carrying your gun. Besides, the ankle holster is suitable for keeping subcompact, compact and full-sized guns on the place.
- Ambidextrous design
- Elastic gun bag
- Thick neoprene to handle the weight of the gun
- Fits both airsoft and real guns
- Snap on the retention strap is made of plastic and hence easily breaks down
- Not machine-washable
What Is An Ankle Holster?
A holster is a small case usually made of leather or other materials. It is usually fixed on a belt or a strap in order to carry your gun. And since there are variety of situations where it’s not appropriate to expose your weapon, you can find holsters which you can place on your ankle. Therefore, you will avoid making your gun visible in all the everyday challenging set of circumstances. Moreover, with an ankle holster, you will be able to carry your primary or secondary gun while at work or on duty trouble-free.
Why Do I Need It?
Those of you who wear uniforms at work or have a specific dress code, like doctors, nurses or fitness instructors, just don’t have the opportunity to carry guns on the waist or in the pocket. And hence, the only practical solution will be to use an ankle holster.
If you wish to find out more about holsters fixed on belts, do not hesitate to check out our **best belly band holsters** for more practical tips and advice on these items.
Benefits And Drawbacks Of Ankle Holsters
And in order to be extremely helpful with your choice, we are going to list the main advantages and disadvantages of owning and using an ankle holster.
- It will perfectly conceal your secondary or primary weapon.
- Ankle holsters are usually designed to fit almost all types of pistols, starting from the smallest like NAA 22 Magnum, to any subcompact, compact and revolvers as well. This way, you will not be limited in your choice.
- There are extra features like magazine pouches that can be used for knives as well.
- Ankle holsters are made adjustable for your thin part of the leg and there are models which come with calf strap for extra security as well.
- It is a practical choice for those of you who cannot have anything on the waist. Moreover, you will be able to get rid of all jackets, needed for concealing other types of holsters.
- There a wide range of materials used for holster bands, so this way you can pick the one that suits your needs. Moreover, there are non-allergic ones, especially designed for sensitive skin and to avoid skin irritations.
- Great way for reaching your gun when in a sitting position.
- There are models for right and left-handed shooters.
- You have to wear baggy pants and definitely avoid tight fit jeans as you won’t be able to draw your weapon. Also, concealing it will be an issue.
- It is recommended not to pick shoes when with the ankle holster because the weight of the gun will prevail and your product will slide down the ankle.
- Ankle holsters are not comfortable while running, jogging or doing just being active. This is due to the fact that the item will flop around your leg and there is a big chance of you losing your firearm.
- You have to be in a stationary position and bend or take a knee in order to reach and draw your gun. This way, you will lose eye contact with your target while doing this and hence be exposed to great danger. Moreover, people with back or knee issues may find it really hard to access their gun and this will slow them down.
- Some retention straps are too noisy to deploy like Velcro or hook and loop.
- You have to be careful when sitting or crossing your legs because this will expose your weapon.
- Not all ankle holsters have a protective pad for the gun barrel and this may lead to you feel uncomfortable while wearing your weapon.
How To Pick The Most Suitable Ankle Holster?
There are many manufacturers on the market, advertising their products, pointing out the advantages, but forgetting to mention the drawbacks you may experience. So, our job now will be to make sure you don’t throw yourself at in the deep end and guide you through the different materials, features and compare the most typical ankle holsters that you may come across as well.
Ankle Holster Fabrics
As you may have observed, there are commonly used materials when it comes to ankle-carry handgun cases. Each material type of the band support and holster itself has its advantages and disadvantages, as well as specific qualities which we are going to share with you.
1. Support Bands
It is very important to be aware of the various kinds of support bands because they will actually keep the holster in place and prevent it from slipping down the ankle or making you feel uncomfortable while wearing it. Also, the right type of material for you will be the one that perfectly wraparounds your leg without stopping your blood circulation or irritating your skin. In addition, the support band should hold up your gun weight while you walk, climb stairs or run and at the same time give you the feeling that you are not wearing anything around your ankle.
If you do not fancy the idea of having a wraparound attached to your leg, you should definitely check out our **best pocket holsters** and we will give you more ideas on how to carry your weapon without creating pressure points on your body.
This is the most inexpensive material for ankle holster bands. It is very light and versatile and it feels great when you try it for the first few times. Unfortunately, it stretches over time and loses its elasticity which will consequently lead to your gun sliding down your ankle. Hence, the experience of having such a boot holster will be ruined and you will end up searching for something more durable.
The next material is also widely used in ankle holsters’ manufacturing production. Neoprene is well-known for its tear and weather resistance. Also, it doesn’t cause skin irritation or chafing during wear, which makes it the perfect material when it comes to ankle holster support bands. And what we really like about it is the fact that the neoprene support band absorbs moisture and therefore will bring comfort to your skin. As we have already mentioned, the way you feel that band around your ankle or calf is essential to the overall performance of the holster.
Nylon is extremely strong and durable material and you will just exclude any probable stretching or wearing issues. Usually, this material is used for the calf strap or any straps. The reason why is the fact that nylon is heavy-duty and sturdy and hence tear-resistant. However, this material is not breathable and can irritate your skin when it gets in contact with sweat.
Some support bands have additional material between the band and your leg for extra comfort while wearing your ankle holster. This is because sometimes the way your gun is fixed to your ankle may result in pinching or rubbing your skin. Also, the padding ensures that your weapon will not rotate around your calf and hence make it possible for you to wear your holster for longer periods of time. Moreover, the manufacturers have carefully chosen materials that feel nice and soft against your skin and therefore, the most common paddings are made of foam or sheepskin.
We have reached perhaps the most important section as here we are going to discuss the materials of the gun cases, attached to the band. It is vital to be aware of them for several reasons.
- Holster material will determine how well your pistol fits.
- The fabric is responsible for holding up the weight of your gun and moreover weather your gun will slip through the case.
- Different types of materials have certain qualities and therefore that determines the durability, wear-resistance and the possibility of stretching of the fabric. All of these may or may not lead to the necessity of buying another ankle holster.
This stretchy fabric is not only used for bands, but also for the holsters. The reason is simple-this material can easily become longer or wider depending on the size of the gun and what is more, returns to its original shape once you remove the weapon. It is undeniably convenient and also easy to maintain. Nevertheless, elastic cases are not durable as the material wears over time and slowly, but surely loses its elasticity. And this can be quite dangerous for you because your gun may slip down through the case even in a stationary position, and this will result in either losing the pistol or exposing the gun.
Another material that you will come across is synthetic fabric. It is definitely not costly and looks very practical, but on closer view, you will discover that it is too pliable and soft to hold your gun. For this reason, we do not advise you to invest in such holster. However, synthetic is ideal if used for the other parts of the ankle holster like straps.
Genuine leather has many advantages when used as the main constituent for the holster case. This material is very durable and will retain your gun with a secure fit. Also, it will surely look good and classy when you hold your gun in it and moreover, genuine leather is a material that is not noisy if you try to take out your firearm. Nevertheless, this lavish component of your holster needs a lot of maintenance, so you really need to know how to care for leather. In addition, genuine leather may lose its ability to be tightly fixed on the place over time, get shrink and what is more, it is not resistant to moist or heat.
Notable Features To Consider
Since ankle holsters should feel comfortable on your leg and at the same time be practical and easy to use, there are some additional characteristics to look for. Here we will give you everything you need to know about the different types of elements that may or may not go with an ankle holster.
And before moving on with ankle holsters essential add-ons, feel free to read more about our wide range of reviews of gun holsters and get all the up-to-date information we have prepared for you.
Some models of boot holsters do not have straps, but those which come with such are thought to be very useful. The calf straps’ function is to support the ankle holster and therefore, not let it rotate around your leg or slip down. This leg brace can easily be adjusted to fit the circumference of your calf for better support. Also, usually there is a Velcro closure to ensure the strap will stay firm and tightened up around your calf.
Snaps are extremely important because they are not noisy to deploy and hence are the better option than Velcro or hook and loop retention straps. Moreover, this type of security feature will not snag or get stuck to your clothes. Another thing is that snaps are made of plastic or metal. And as quality is concerned, the stronger the material, the better. Therefore, metal snaps are the most suitable for gun-carrying purposes because they are durable and easy to operate with. Hence, this will increase the speed and ease with which you draw your gun.
These small cases attached on the band are specially designed to hold your magazine. You can use them as a place where to keep a knife as well. We think that pouches are practical solution, especially for ankle holsters since the latter are designed to carry a small-sized gun. And we know that the magazines of such weapons cannot hold up more than 6 or 7 bullets. This is the reason why an extra magazine right next to your gun will be a good idea.
Best Ankle Holster Comparison Chart
|ComfortTac Ultimate Ankle Holster For Concealed Carry||$$||Neoprene||15" - 17"||Under 6.5" Length|
|UTG Concealed Ankle Holster||$$||Polyester||9.2 x 5.5 x 2.2"||All Compact/Subcompact Pistols|
|LIRISY Ankle Holster for Concealed Carry||$$||Breathable neoprene||15" - 17"||Sig Sauer P238, the Ruger LCP and Bodyguard .380 and compact pistols|
|Uncle Mike's Law Enforcement Off-Duty Ankle Holster||$ - $$$||Cordura nylon||5 available sizes||Small / Medium guns and Compact large frame autos|
|LPV PRODUCTS Gun Ankle Holster For Concealed Carry||$$$||Breathable and elastic Neoprene||11 to 19"||Almost All pistols|
|Galco Gunleather Ankle Lite / Ankle Holster||$$||Center cut steer hide material||up to 13"||Ruger LCP, KelTec P3AT, P32|
If you think of the ankle holsters’ design, you will soon find out that not all of them are suitable for left-handed people. And this is a huge drawback, especially for those of you who are not used to using their right hand. Some holster models are advertised to have an ambidextrous design but sometimes that is just misleading. The reason why lies in the fact that left-handed shooters need specific adjustments to be able to easily draw their gun. However, there are manufacturers who offer ankle holsters particularly designed for gun-owners who use their left hand more naturally.
When carrying a gun, safety comes first. So here are some practical pieces of advice to help you with your ankle holster experience.
- Always try out your holster first and make sure it stays well on your leg as well as fits your weapon.
- Don’t be deceived by nice looks but choose a holster that fully covers and protects the trigger.
- If your gun case starts slipping down your ankle while outside, make sure you find a private place to fix it, otherwise it is not going to be a concealed carry anymore.
- Be careful what clothes you wear-not too tight but loose enough to hide your gun and moreover to easily clear the garment to acquire a fire grip.
- It is a good idea to practice the draw-type position in order to be prepared.
In the end, we believe that you have finally got the idea of what to look for when choosing ankle holsters for your gun. Our team has given you the main points with the most up-to-date information in order to present you the best ankle holster guide. And we have also listed some top ankle holster reviews to help you pick your number-one ankle-carry handgun.
As always, we are open to your feedback and would appreciate any comment left by you. If you liked the article, show it to your friends or share it online. Let us know if anything can be changed or improved. Thanks for reading and as always – stay put!