- Best 7 Car Gun Safes Reviews
- 1 . SnapSafe Lock Box
- 2 . Hornady Rapid Gun Safe, Premium Firearm Security
- 3 . Bulldog Cases Car Safe
- 4 . AdirOffice Portable Travel Gun Safe
- 5 . SnapSafe Treklite Lock Box
- 6 . SentrySafe Pistol Safe with Key Lock & Tether Cable (Single Gun Capacity)
- 7 . Nova USA Collection Cobra Vaults Portable in Car Gun Safe
- Car Gun Safe
- What Are Safes Made Of?
- Gun Safe Fireproofing Methods
- Safety Tips
- Best Car Gun Safes Comparison Chart
Are you a gun owner, and do you spend a lot of time in your car? Then you have come to the right place – the ultimate buying guide to finding the best car gun safe.
We all have watched “Fast and Furious,” and no matter how badass the characters in the film are, our team can bet that even Don Torreto had a car gun safe in his precious vehicle. That’s because a responsible gun owner realizes how important the matter of safety is. A proper car gun safe would keep not only your weapon but also you and your family safe.
Finding the perfect unit, however, could be a bit hard as there are many things you should keep in mind when choosing it. Thus, our team has gathered all the useful information you need to know, many tips, and of course, the top seven car gun safes reviews that will make the process of finding the right unit so much easier.
- SnapSafe Lock Box
- PRICE $ - $$$
- Material : 16 gauge steel
- Dimensions : 10 x 7 x 2” ( X Large )
- Weight : 6 lbs
- Hornady Rapid Gun Safe, Premium Firearm Security
- PRICE $$$$
- Material : 14 gauge steel
- Dimensions : 12 x 6.4 x 2.2”
- Weight : 10 pounds
- Bulldog Cases Car Safe
- PRICE $$
- Material : Steel
- Dimensions : 8.7 x 6 x 2.5”
- Weight : 3.6 pounds
- AdirOffice Portable Travel Gun Safe
- PRICE $$
- Material : Steel
- Dimensions : 9.4 x 6.5 x 2”
- Weight : 2.80 lbs
- SnapSafe Treklite Lock Box
- PRICE $$
- Material : Polycarbonate
- Dimensions : 10 x 2 x 7”
- Weight : 1.6 pounds
- SentrySafe Pistol Safe with Key Lock & Tether Cable
- PRICE $$$
- Material : Solid Steel
- Dimensions : 10.1 x 3.4 x 11.3”
- Weight : 6.5 pounds
Best 7 Car Gun Safes Reviews
When it comes to safety, you just have to be committed to the cause one hundred percent. That’s why finding a proper gun safe is essential. The way to do that is by reading the reviews that we have made for you. They are not prepared in any specific order because they all have advantages and disadvantages and each one is suitable for different purposes. You need to decide which car gun safe will be the ONE for you. Let’s get started!
1 . SnapSafe Lock Box
The SnapSafe Lock Box is fantastic for anywhere you go because you can have your handgun with you in case you need them, and at the same time, they are in secure storage. This way only you have access to it. You don’t need to worry about your kids or anyone else finding your firearm.
You can take it with you on an airplane, and the California Department of Justice also approves it for firearms storage. But note that you are only allowed to have the safe without loaded weapon inside.
The X Large size is 10” x 7” x 2” and the XX-Large is 11.5” x 8.5” x2.5”. The features you may like are the easy operate steel key lock, 1500 lb rated 4 ft steel security cable, pry-resistant 16-gauge steel housing and it includes two keys. This SnapSafe Lock Box is ready to cover your needs.
- You’ve got a lifetime warranty
- Included is a heavy steel cable which lets you fix the lockbox to an immobile object close to you.
- You can travel with this item without care because it meets the TSA guidelines.
- The construction of the box is solid.
- It comes in two sizes
- The weak spot of this product is its lock. You have to be more careful and gentle how you lock and unlock it.
2 . Hornady Rapid Gun Safe, Premium Firearm Security
You need to do your grocery shopping, but do you want to leave your gun in your car? You can do that securely with the Hornady Rapid Gun Safe. The product can fit almost any concealed carry firearm since its dimensions are 12 x 6.4 x 2.2 inches. You can put inside not only your gun but also keys.
There are a few different sizes that you can pick from depending on your needs. Keep in mind the dimensions, especially if you have a smaller car and around the door. Something that you’d like is that you can easily program the RFID actuators. Thanks to the decently written manual with instructions, all you have to do is follow it. Something really comfortable is that the Hornady Rapid Gun Safe can be mounted on the passenger side of the console and on the driver side.
- Includes a cable with which you can fix the item to the seat frame of the passenger or the driver side.
- Provides quick and easy access thanks to an RFID activation by a wristband, key fob or a sticker or you’ve got second access by a code or key.
- There is a bladder system, and a battery backup included.
- The construction is good quality and pretty durable.
- The attachments are plastic, meaning that with time they might need to be changed.
- Sometimes it can make noise when it opens and closes.
3 . Bulldog Cases Car Safe
We all know how mattering it is to secure the gun safe you pick, but sometimes a mounting bracket isn’t your preferred system to do that. With Bulldog Cases Car Safe you have two options of fixing your box. Either with a bracket or with a 3-foot long cable. This will help you move the safe from one car to another and decide which works better.
You can also be sure that no one can break in take the safe and run away since the box can’t be removed from the mounting bracket, ones it’s locked. The dimensions of the box are 8.7 x 6 x 2.5 inches. Тhe opening mechanism here isn’t a combination; instead, it’s key locked.
- The heavy-duty steel construction is secure and robust.
- Easy access with a key.
- You can mount it anywhere thanks to the mounting bracket which has an included hardware.
- An additional 3-foot security cable, with which you can fix the safe if you decide that the mounting bracket isn’t for you.
- A soft and durable interior that won’t scratch your gun.
- The screws of the mounting bracket aren’t high quality. This means they will need to be replaced after some time.
4 . AdirOffice Portable Travel Gun Safe
The durable construction of AdirOffice Gun Safe lets you keep your firearm and things like passports, iPhones, credit cards, watches, jewelry or money inside secure! There is a 4-layer foam lining that keeps your gun and ammo stably placed. If you remove it from inside safe’s interior can become more significant, but the dimension with the foam is 9.4” x 6.5” x 2”.
Whatever you decide to put inside you can count on it to be lightweight and easy to hide if you are at home, in your car or at a hotel while traveling. By saying traveling, this safe will works for air travel too. Just remember to have a firearm and magazines that are entirely empty. Declare it at the airline, and you will be good to go. It’s an excellent solution for protecting your handgun from curious children. After all securing your weapon from others is your responsibility.
- Steel construction is solid and durable.
- You can choose between a dial or a key lock, whatever you prefer.
- You get a steel cable that you can use to fix the safe to a static object close to you.
- The safe has a black finish that is resistant to scratching.
- It has a 4-layer foam interior, which will protect the inside items from moving.
- Easily concealable under a car seat, mattresses if you are traveling or just having it with you.
- It’s a bit hard to see the numbers if you are an older person.
- The lock mechanism may seem to be cheaply made.
5 . SnapSafe Treklite Lock Box
This X Large size with dimensions 10 x 2 x 7 inches can feet a wide range of handguns going to the 1911 model. Heed that if you want to use it for traveling, you have to check the local laws and the TSA airline guidelines for concealed safes.
Some people find that having hinges on the outside as here can be risky for people to open it. Also, keep in mind the lockbox can be heavy depending on the inside items. To prevent the box from sliding while you’re driving, the corners have rubber around them. If you are wondering what the locking system is, it is with a key that comes with the lock and a spare one in case you lost the first one.
This gun safe fits anywhere you want, under the car seat, mattress or in a suitcase, if you’re going to travel with it. The only thing is that it lacks a carrying handle, making it harder when transporting.
- Resistant to impact thanks to its durable polycarbonate construction.
- Fits handguns up to full-sized 1911.
- Can be ensured with the included steel cable.
- It is padded on the inside so it can keep your items well stored, you can remove it and have more space.
- The hinges are on the outside, which means that people can open it given the time and tools.
- The foam is prone to damage, due to the cable brushing against it.
6 . SentrySafe Pistol Safe with Key Lock & Tether Cable (Single Gun Capacity)
The gun safe is secured to allow only authorized access with a key for its lock. When the package comes, you have included two physical keys. Meanwhile, the inside can fit in one standard handgun. If you want to know if it will fit your firearm, here are its dimensions for reference 10.1 x 3.4 x 11.3 inches.
It is recommended to keep the safe and the key with you if you aren’t going to bolt it to something because otherwise, someone might take it and if you lose your keys, it will be hard to open it. If you don’t like mounting it in your car because you still want to be able to take it around with you, you can just use the provided cable and secure it around one of the front seats. The cable is released every time you open the safe, which is preferred by some people and disliked by others.
- The box construction is solid steel, making it really secure.
- You can secure the box thanks to its steel tethering cable.
- To be more portable and easy to transport you have a carrying handle.
- The interior is filled with compression foam, which protects your gun from scratching or shifting inside.
- You can bolt it down in your car or at home if you want.
- Because of the steel construction, it is heavier, weighing at 6.5 pounds.
7 . Nova USA Collection Cobra Vaults Portable in Car Gun Safe
As a gun owner we’ve mentioned before you want to prevent your children from accessing your weapons, with this you can be sure it won’t happen. However, at the same time if they find the box, thanks to its rounded edges they won’t hurt themselves in any kind of way.
If you travel a lot, you will be pleased to know that this Gun safe complies with the requirements of flying with an airline. You can also store a lot of things inside because the dimensions of 13.38” x 11.81” x 3.54” exterior provide you with significant capacity.
Here you have a carrying handle as a feature as well. It is made from an 8-inch cable and with that you have another 38 inches security cable, used for fixing the safe where you want. This way you can have the safe with you when you are using your car during the day and then take it home during the night.
- The safe is made out of heavy-gauge steel that is robust.
- At the bottom, you have two pre-drilled holes that allow you to mount it nearly anywhere.
- You can take this case while traveling since it meets the TSA airline weapons guidelines.
- There is a thick protective foam layer inside to protect the items from any damage.
- A variety of handguns can be stored inside, that includes 1911 types of pistols.
- Because of the significant dimensions and the heavy construction, it is heavy.
Car Gun Safe
You want to know you can protect yourself at any times, but there are moments and places in life when that can’t happen. For instance, you just finish work, and you have a parent-teacher meeting. The right thing to do in this situation is to store your gun in your car gun safe! A vehicle vault lets you have your firearm near you, but without people knowing it.
- Protection – The most obvious reason to buy any kind of gun safe is to prevent anyone from stealing your property and potentially threatening someone’s life when it comes to guns. The statistics tell that a lot of times intruders take firearms, which are then used in other criminal activities.
Sometimes it’s not as drastic as this, sometimes you don’t want your kids to get a hold of your gun and an accident to happen. The thing here is that especially at a younger age, kids do things that you tell them not to do, because of that even when you think that something is safe you probably should secure it even more. In these cases having the best biometric gun safe will be a great way of security that something won’t happen.
- Security – Having safe lets you protect your most valuable possessions from not only people’s hands but disasters as well. Things like fires and floods happen from time to time, depending on where you live, but it’s always great to know you don’t have to worry about your guns, money or jewels melting.
Keep in mind that automobile fires are rarer than house ones. This means that car gun safes don’t have protection against fire, but at the same time, they don’t happen often. Plus if your car is on fire, your gun isn’t really your priority.
- Comfort – Even if you are someone who thinks people should carry their guns on themselves you can’t deny that when you are sitting or driving it can be uncomfortable to have a gun in your waistband. This is another reason and benefit to having a gun safe, you can just leave it inside, but still, know that if time in need comes, you can respond quickly.
- Price – Finding an excellent, rigorous gun safe at a reasonable price is quite hard actually, maybe more than you expect. There are chances that you lack information and invest in a bad product, because of this we have created the buying guide! However, keep in mind that if you need a car safe where you can be sure you can leave it for a few hours, you will need to invest more. The price of different types of gun safes varies, so it’s always good to see all your options before making a decision.
- Concealment – You always have to make sure that people haven’t seen you leave things in your car even if it’s in your car safe. If people don’t know you have something there, it is more likely they won’t try to get in. What we mean by that is that you have to hide well, while you are mounting it and when you are leaving your gun and other possessions inside the box.
However, always keep in mind that car gun safes aren’t supposed to be for 24/7 use, they are most secure, when you use them only when you are using your car during the day for a few hours. We don’t advise you to leave your things inside, during the night or any other time when they can be stored inside the house, for instance in an under the bed gun safe.
What Are Safes Made Of?
Initially, safes would be made of cast iron in a cubic shape. The shape stayed for the most part throughout time and is still widely popular. However, the same can’t be said about the material manufacturers use, now safes are made out of steel, at least typically.
Steel is better than iron because firstly it is resistant to rusting and secondly it is stronger, which means harder for thieves to get into. Usually, an old iron safe gets rusty at its base or where it’s mounted down, that creates a vulnerability that is more visible with time. For higher resistance to fire special alloys can be formed. Plus to produce a more rigorous material for a safe, there’s complex metallurgy taking place where different elements are added.
Typically, what you see by looking at a safe is the outer layer. This is especially true about in-wall safes which we have also addressed in a separate piece. Under it, there is a hard plate, which protects the mechanisms. Since hard materials are more prone to cracking while being under repeated shock, the outer skin is made out of a milder metal. This means that the finish can deform, but it certainly won’t crack, and the hard layer will remain untouched. There are additional layers for fire resistance that we will go more in depth later.
Advanced vaults, usually have an additional glass layer inside the wall. It is used to if a break occurs the alarms will be triggered if the wall is struck by force.
Except for steel or iron safes, there are also plastic ones. They are usually used for transportable safes, because of how lightweight and water resistant they are. You can even get them in a variety of colors, something that the other materials don’t really have. Tough plastic cases are specially formulated to be resistant to corrosion, shockproof or even have hygienic anti-bacterial coatings.
There are so many aspects that are important especially when we want to know how to choose a gun safe.
Gun Safe Fireproofing Methods
If you want a safe that is fireproof, it needs to be more than just made out of steel. Steel as a material is good because it can delay the damage by heat and fire, but it’s not absolute protection against it. You need an additional fireproofing in its interior, which will adequately protect your possessions. If you don’t have that, the content won’t be safe in any way during a fire.
There are two types of fireproof lining that are typically used with safes. It is of your benefit to keep them in mind! As well as always making sure that the whole safe is fireproofed because sometimes manufacturers apply the protection only on the top or bottom of the product, this way cutting down their costs. Both materials will do the job, but do your research and find what’s best for you.
- Sheet Rock Lining – This material is considered less effective because it has the ability and tendency to fall apart when it’s heated. To minimize these effect manufacturers add fiberglass to it. However, this can only decrease, never eliminate the problem. This disintegration leads to holes in the heat protection of the safe. In the end, damage occurs when the heat is sustained for an extended amount of time.
- Ceramic Wool – This material creates the best protection against fire, consistently and a heat up to 2300 degrees. It is really sturdy, and because of that, it is used to line melt furnaces in foundries making them stronger. If 2300 degrees don’t sound that convincing, know that an average residential fire never reaches such degrees. That’s why your contents are best protected with ceramic wool.
As a gun owner, you are aware of how important safety is while holding a gun, carrying it, having it at home or by your side while you’re driving. We believe that it’s never a bad idea to run through a safety talk, so we had to dedicate a part of our buying guide for that in case you need to remind yourself of some things.
- The muzzle of the firearm should always be pointed in a safe direction. This term means that even if an accidental discharge occurs, it is indicated in a way that no injury will be caused.
- The finger is always of the trigger until you are sure you are going to shoot. Otherwise, your finger should rest along the side of the gun or outside the trigger guard, any time you are holding or touching the weapon. Don’t reach the trigger if you don’t have the intent to fire.
- When you aren’t going to need the weapon, it should always be unloaded. This goes for when you are storing a gun, at home, in your car or somewhere else. Removing and returning it to the safe should be done by pointing it in a safe direction and with confidence that it’s unloaded.
- Know how your gun works, if you just got a new model that you don’t have any experience with reading it’s manual. Learn how to remove any ammunition from the gun and the magazine safely, know how to open and close the weapon’s action carefully, but also how to take apart a gun.
- It is essential to keep your firearms in a locked gun safe or storage case when you’re not going to use it. The location must be hidden and inaccessible by children and shouldn’t be handled by anyone other than you or at least without your permission or absence.
- To secure things even better, store your ammunition in a separate locked location from the actual gun.
- As an additional safety precaution use a gun locking device, this makes the firearm inoperable when not used by you. This shouldn’t be a substitute for a gun safe, it can be an additional accessory to it.
- Talking to the kids and younger people in the house is essential, because if they are aware and understand how dangerous firearms are they are more likely not to touch and immediately tell someone if they find an unattended gun. You can also have them sign the Project ChildSafe Pledge for young people.
- Immediately after coming home from the range or somewhere else, always unload, clean and store your firearms in their appropriate secure location.
- Educate your family about firearms safety and even get a firearm safety kit for your home, car or office.
Best Car Gun Safes Comparison Chart
|SnapSafe Lock Box||$ - $$$||16 gauge steel||10 x 7 x 2” ( X Large )||6 lbs|
|Hornady Rapid Gun Safe, Premium Firearm Security||$$$$||14 gauge steel||12 x 6.4 x 2.2”||10 pounds|
|Bulldog Cases Car Safe||$$||Steel||8.7 x 6 x 2.5”||3.6 pounds|
|AdirOffice Portable Travel Gun Safe||$$||Steel||9.4 x 6.5 x 2”||2.80 lbs|
|SnapSafe Treklite Lock Box||$$||Polycarbonate||10 x 2 x 7”||1.6 pounds|
|SentrySafe Pistol Safe with Key Lock & Tether Cable||$$$||Solid Steel||10.1 x 3.4 x 11.3”||6.5 pounds|
This is where we wrap up our buying guide to getting the best car gun safe. We really hope that you have found all the information you need and that you have found “your” gun safe by reading our car gun safe reviews.
If that indeed is the case and you find our article useful, don’t be selfish and share it with other people. Who knows, your friends and family may also find it helpful. If you have any questions or you just want to share something with us, feel free to write or send us an email.
We know how demanding being a gun owner is, so we have various articles devoted to finding the best unit. Don’t forget to check them out too! Thanks for reading, and as always- stay put!