We all know how badass a piece of proper weapon equipment looks. However, comfort and excellent support are what everyone who owns a gun is seeking. That’s why having the best IWB holster is essential.
When it comes to concealed carry, IWB holsters, short for ‘Inside the waistband’, are the norm. They are easily hidden and attached to your belt prolonging the life of your weapon. Despite all this, to be able to carry your gun all day, without the typical discomfort and pain, there are different factors you will need to consider when choosing the most suitable item. You must look for a holster that is adjustable, suitable for your gun, has the proper weight, etc.
We love to help our readers – that’s obvious. That’s why we have created this buying guide as a source of useful tips, information, and IWB reviews of the finest products you would find on the market these days.
Best IWB Holsters Comparison Chart
CYA Supply Co. IWB
|View On Amazon|
CONCEALED CARRIER (TM) Universal IWB Holster
|View On Amazon|
Relentless Tactical The Defender Leather IWB Holster
|View On Amazon|
Concealment Express IWB KYDEX Holster
|View On Amazon|
Belly Band Holster for Concealed Carry | IWB Holster |
|View On Amazon|
Relentless Tactical Leather IWB Holster
|View On Amazon|
Our IWB Holsters Reviews
Here is the top list of the most excellent IWB holsters. Mind that they aren’t arranged in a specific order. Everything in this list would be a great addition to your equipment so every choice you make would be the right one.
1 . CYA Supply Co. IWB
This IWB holster is made out of a plastic called Boltaron. This material surpasses the widespread Kydex in resistance of impact, hardness and it also preserves its form better in high-heat moments.
To adjust the holster to the right angle for you, you just have to use the Hex Allen Key, which is inside the package. Its carry angle, known as the cant is from 0 to 15 degrees. You use it to loosen the screw on the belt loop and then put it how you want it. With the same key, you can also regulate the retention.
The unit is highly resistant to abrasion, chemicals, because of the Boltaron thermoplastic material used to create this holster. In its nature, this material is similar to Kydex.
- The retention pressure and the cant can be easily adjusted, even though the angle can be between 0 and 15 degrees.
- Because it’s an IWB, no one will know you are armed, since this type doesn’t print if you have the right pants.
- Really durable, thanks to its construction.
- It is easier to draw and re-holster since they’ve taken significant wear and friction point out of the usual design.
- It has no attachments for light/laser
- Only Right-hand draw
- Fits only certain guns.
2 . CONCEALED CARRIER (TM) Universal IWB Holster
This holster is made out of soft, padded, breathable Neoprene with holes that lets your skin breathe. This makes it really comfortable even against bare skin. It also helps in minimizing sweat. Some Sig Sauer models might need some stitches to be cut with a razor, just slightly, for the trigger guard to fit. However, overall it is really comfortable to wear, it doesn’t print. You can exercise, walk or run and the holster will keep your weapon in place. This holster is created for any type of carry such as an appendix, hip, back carry or other.
- This is a universal holster, so you don’t have to worry if it will fit your weapon, because everything can go into it, even a full-size.
- You have an easy to break with a thumb, retention strap, which will help you draw your weapon quickly.
- You also get an extra neoprene belt clip pouch, where you can put something of your choice, for instance, a Taser, folding knife or a pepper spray.
- Even though it can fit a full-size weapon, something can catch on the front of the gun or the exposed metal can be scratched.
- It’s hard to re-holster.
- The clips on the holster hold no retention, so sometimes they come off when you draw your weapon.
3 . Relentless Tactical The Defender Leather IWB Holster
This leather IWB holster is reinforced in all critical stress-points, where you would usually worry. You can also stretch the leather by following the instructions in the book that you get with this item. However, keep in mind you need time for leather to shape into your gun. The design has a metal belt clip, which is really sturdy and will hold your weapon in place.
To be more natural to hide, even though it’s already IWB it also has a lower ride height. You can easily place the holster on and off your belt. Because it is made out of natural material, it won’t irritate your skin. Instead of this, it is smooth and comfortable against bare skin.
- It has five unique shapes, which fit a wide variety of models, most full size and compact weapons.
- Made out of bull hide leather, which makes it durable and not easy to wear off.
- Quick access, fitted to the handgun, easily concealed and sturdy.
- Together with the holster you also get a bracelet, stickers and a note with general information about the product along with how to take care of it.
- It is comfortable both while sitting and standing up.
- After some time leather can become quite stretched and risk your gun from falling out.
- It is only for concealed carry, and it is not magnetic.
4 . Concealment Express IWB KYDEX Holster
You can use this holster for an appendix, small of back, cross draw and hip carry. You have dreadlocks on all fasteners as a safety measure. Plus an anti-scratch configuration that will preserve your weapon. Another feature that helps take better care of your defense is the body facing side of the holster which is designed to mainly keep you gun dry, with no sweat on it, while you carry it.
Thanks to this Sweat-Shield you can also re-holster your weapon, faster than other types of gun cases. Keep in mind this item isn’t ambidextrous, but you can still choose if you want it for a right or a left hand.
- You can adjust the retention pressure easily.
- The cant can be adapted between 0 and 15 degrees with a Phillips Screwdriver. You don’t need any tools for this.
- Made out of plastic Kydex, weighing only 2.5oz with a standard belt clip 1.5” ABS
- The Hardware is treated with black oxide.
- The holster has a retention lock system that will keep your handgun in place with this posi-click.
- It has a full-length sweat guard.
- It only fits Taurus 111 – 140 Millennium G2 &G2C.
- The edges could bite into your waist.
5 . LIRISY Inside The Waistband Holster
This neoprene holster has sturdy 600D nylon, which is wrapped inside and prevents tearing even over time. The design is open in front for the muzzle, this way it can fit larger guns. They also have versions for right and left hand. Even more, they come in two sizes.
Bear in mind you will need both hands to re-holster the handgun in its holster, but you are still able to draw it quickly and with only one hand. One of the greatest things that the manufacturer gives you is the lifetime warranty.
- Thanks to the breathable, soft 0.3mm Neoprene you can wear this directly against naked skin.
- You get little to no printing with this item, and it doesn’t matter how you dress.
- It is built for everyday use.
- This holster has a flexible fit because by cutting a bit of the stitching you are able to fit a bigger size handgun with a laser or light if you wish.
- The smaller option fits weapons with a maximum length of 6.5’’, while the bigger one goes up to 7.2’’.
- You get a fast and silent draw of the gun thanks to a secure snap button placed on top, which most of the time secures your weapon.
- It isn’t rigid enough.
- Since it has an open front for the muzzle, it can bring some discomfort.
6 . Belly Band Holster for Concealed Carry | IWB Holster |
The Belly Band Holster can fit in any firearm, from sub-compact to mid and full-size. It is made of neoprene. This is a great material that lets air come through, is thicker and can deal with the weight of a weapon. This means it provides excellent support and comfort at the same time.
A tip we have for you before purchasing this product, first use a tape measure to check the size of the area, where you intend to carry this. There’s an additional pocket you can use for other defense measures like a pepper spray, or just have your keys close to you.
- The perforated soft Neoprene makes it comfortable to wear directly against your skin. The material can stretch and fit a belly of a 44’’ size.
- It has a button clasp on top of the weapon that thumb breaks easily.
- The holster has compacts and smaller subcompacts, meaning it can fit a small or large pistol.
- You can carry it in almost every kind of carry option, from inside the waistband, to an appendix, small of back or shoulder.
- The Velcro can leave prints on your skin.
- The button on the gun strap can be too difficult to undo sometimes.
- Because it’s made out of Neoprene, it can be hot to wear during the summer.
7 . Relentless Tactical Leather IWB Holster
The good thing about this neoprene Relentless Tactical Leather IWB Holster is that it can also become OWB. You only have to order a case for the opposite hand. Meaning, if your main hand is the right one, you would have to get a left-hand holster.
If you are all about safety, know that there’s a lot of space between the top of the holster and the thumb safety, so you have no interference at all.
- Really durable, due to its high-quality American bull hide leather construction.
- It can fit in a big range of pistols, if it doesn’t you get to return it, without being asked any questions.
- The holster has compacts and smaller subcompacts, meaning it can fit a small or large pistol.
- You can depend on this holster, because of how sturdy, form-fitted it is.
- Can be easily concealed, yet allows you to draw your gun quickly.
- You can choose between 5 different sizes and colors to fit your weapon.
- It lacks any kind of strap to keep the gun from falling off.
At the moment you can get a holster for left-hand in black color.
What Is A Handgun Holster?
There are many products for weapon maintenance which we have described and reviewed, and each one has its advantages. The easy withdrawn of the gun, when an immediate use is required, is one of the most important things a handgun holster has to offer. That is precisely the reason why almost every gun owner is also the owner of a handgun holster.
This device holds or restricts the undesired movement of your weapon, giving you comfort and safety. Most commonly, holsters are designed to be attached to your belt or waistband. However, nowadays holsters such as ankle holster, appendix holster, etc. are also often used.
Generally, holsters are designed to be used with one hand only. That’s why they make the removal and replacement of the gun secure. Still, to be able to return your weapon to your holster one-handed, you need to choose the material of your holster carefully. The material a holster is made of, though, is not the only factor you need to consider.
First, let’s see what an IWB holster is, and then we will find out how to choose a concealed holster.
What Is An IWB Holster?
When categorized by a method of wear, the most common types of holsters are IWB, OWB, shoulder and pocket holsters. There are even more different types, but the one that we would like to scrutinize is IWB.
An inside – the- waistband holster can either clip or mount to your belt, allowing you to holster your pistol inside your pants securely. Most of the IWB holsters will enable you to tuck a shirt over the firearm and the holster. Such holsters look discrete as they show less profile print even with light clothing.
They are a perfect choice, especially in warm weather and they will not be a burden while you do other activities.
Benefits Of Using An IWB Holster
If prolonging the life of your gun sounds useful to you, buying a holster is essential. Such item will keep your pistol from breaking or damaging even if it falls; this is because the holster will take the majority of the impact keeping you and your gun safe. By now you probably wonder why you should choose specifically IWB holster.
Well, this type does not only give you great comfort but is also easy to conceal and to carry. When you bring your pistol between you and your pants, it’s easier to disguise it. The draw stroke is also fast and efficient. A proper IWN holster should offer you reliable retention mechanism and exceptional durability.
Let’s say you are not a big fan of jackets and coats. If that is the case, then you will be pleased to hear that inside the waistband holster does not require anything more than an untucked shirt. The shirt, of course, should be able to disguise the pistol as we don’t want people around you to be scared, right?!
- Easy concealment
- Fast draw stroke
- Reliable retention mechanism
Drawbacks Of Using An IWB Holster
As with any other product, there are benefits and disadvantages of using an IWN holster.
If you are law enforcement personnel, for example, an IWN may not be the most excellent option for you. To have a good grip on your pistol when you draw it, you will need to dig your fingers a bit harder between your torso and your gun. This would slow you down, and as you know in this line of work the time element is crucial. In this scenario, our team would advise you to look for the **best shoulder holster**.
This one may not exactly be a drawback, but still, you need to consider the fact that you will have to look for pants with larger waistbands. The situation with the belt will be the same if you want your body to feel comfortable.
While IWBs are an excellent option for disguising your gun perfectly, they score low when it comes to comfort. That’s because a handgun holster needs to be made of rigid materials for the re-holstering to be more comfortable. However, because the IWB holster is carried inside your pants, stiff materials are not exactly the most comfortable thing. A solution to this problem is choosing an IWB made of soft leather or nylon, which consequently will mean difficulties with the re-holstering of your weapon.
Having seen the vicious circle, you could get trapped in, let’s go over the drawbacks once more:
- Not really comfortable
- Harder to get a good grip of the weapon when drawing it
- Harder to re-holster
Factors To Consider When Choosing An IWB Holster
Leather, plastic, and nylon are what IWB holsters are usually made of. Some IWBs feature all of the elements above in one. They are called “hybrid holsters” and are getting more and more popular every day.
- Leather – As we already said, IWB holsters are the easiest to conceal. If you choose leather as a material, though, you may encounter some difficulties with the fact that leather does not respond well with hot weather. Sweat can easily seep into the leather which is not exactly comfortable. The most significant advantage of the leather is its durability.
- Plastic – As far as plastic or other composite holsters are concerned, Kydex is the most common plastic used for such holsters. It is hard but also has a smooth texture, so people prefer to use Kydex holsters when the weather gets hot.
- Nylon – Nylon holsters (or generally cloth holsters) also gained great popularity due to their low price. They tend to be less durable and, like leather holsters, are not a good option for a warm day.
- Hybrid holsters – They are highly popular nowadays, and many consider them the most comfortable. Typically, they have a cloth backer and a polymer retention shell. The cloth backer can be made of leather, composite fabric or high-strength mesh, while the retention shell is mostly made of Kydex. When you look for hybrid holster keep in mind that the backing material is what matters.
It doesn’t matter if you look for the best IWB holster for women or man, the material is and will always be, one of the most critical factors to think about before finding your perfect holster.
The majority of the gun owners find this factor the most important, and they are right to do so. Imagine if someone tries to steal your weapon, and even worst- succeeds. That’s why a proper IWB holster should be able to conceal your gun and keep you and your beloved ones safe.
Look for an IWB holster that will not protrude your waistband and does not add to much bulk to your pistol. Our advice is to look for a thin holster that will not only be easier to conceal but will also not stretch your pants out of shape and fit too tightly between your body and belt. On the other hand, you should not look for the thinnest holster possible as this may affect the durability.
Sometimes you may need to try different models before finding the most comfortable concealed carry holster.
Doing other activities comfortably, while carrying your loaded holster might look impossible, but trust us, it is! Look for a lightweight holster that is suitable for your pistol. You should be able to position it inside your waistband easily, and it should not restrict you. When the holster comes in contact with your skin, it may not feel enjoyable. That’s why our team advises you to look for a holster that features a sweat shield. A sweat shield will make it impossible for the firearm to be in contact with your skin.
The most significant advantage of the handgun holsters is that they preserve your weapon. However, a good IWB holster should be able to protect your skin as well. Bruises and scratches are something every rational person dislikes.
Accessibility And Re-Holstering
With the gun being a self-defense tool, its simple drawing should be a number one priority. A good inside the waistband holster should allow you to get a good grip on your handgun easily.
To be able to re-holster your pistol with just one of your hands is also of great importance.
Leather and Kydex holsters are the top options when it comes to sustainability. It’s needless to say that you should be able to depend on your IWB holster for years later.
If let’s say, you are being attacked, it may be unnecessary to use your gun. Sometimes a hand-on-hand dealing could be sufficient. Under such instances, your holster should be able to keep your arm in position and prevent it from slipping or falling. You would like for your pistol to remain intact unless you decide to draw it out.
Retention can be categorized in three different levels:
- Level one – Using one retention device.
- Level two – Using two retention devices, mostly an internal retention device and a strap
- Level three- Using more than two retention devises. In this case, IWB holsters are not a good choice.
Leveling up on holster retention is something important, so always consider this factor before buying yourself such a product.
- Exact Fit
There are some multiple-size fitting holsters, but the majority of holsters are suitable for specific guns. It is therefore essential to know the precise fit for your pistol. A holster may be perfect for one pistol but perform awfully with other.
Some people prefer straight drop cant, whereas some like the FBI cant. It depends on your personal desires!
Tips On Finding And Using An IWB Holster
- The mouth of the holster should always be strengthened. That way it will remain open, and you will be able to re-holster your weapon single handed.
- It’s not important whether you look for the **best ankle holster** or the most fantastic shoulder holster, being able to get a full hand grip on the gun is essential! Make sure that your weapon sits at enough high level above your belt.
- Our team advises you to not look for multiple-size fitting holsters. Selecting a holster that is made specifically for your type of weapon is always the better option.
- Holsters with offset clips and loops are easier to conceal.
- Try putting your waistband holster behind your hip and then in front of your hip. Different people prefer it differently and that way you could see which suits you better and feels more natural.
- Try to avoid spring-steel clips. Sometimes they may be the reason for the holster to be drawn along with the weapon.
- Avoid bending at the waist, use those knees, or it could get painful, trust us!
- Belts matter, even for an IWB holster! – A suitable belt helps the proper distribution of weight and, of course, supports the gun. We could calmly say that 90% of belt-carry stability and comfort depends on using a proper gun belt.
- Do not fall into despair! Finding a comfortable holster may not seem easy and most of the time getting used to carrying a holster is the hardest part. Despite all that, give it some time, it will get better!
- Always take your conceal-carry permit before going out!
- Is an IWB holster easily disguised? – Yes, this type of holster is excellent for concealed carry.
- Which is the most durable material a holster could be made of? – Each element has good and bad things to offer, but leather and Kydex score high when it comes to durability.
- Are IWBs comfortable? – If you use a holster for the first time, it is perfectly reasonable not to feel like you are dressed with your pajamas. This will get better in time, though. Sometimes you may have to try different holsters before finding the ONE.
- Does an IWB holster prolong the life of a gun? – Yes! An IWB holster will not only keep you and the people around you safe but will also prevent your pistol from breaking or damaging.
Well guys, if you are reading this, then you have arrived at the end of our buying guide on how to get the best IWB holster. You now see how many factors there are to be considered when choosing the right unit and that the task is not so simple, at all.
Still, we hope that our IWB holster reviews were of help and that you have learned something new and useful. If that is true, please share this piece with your friends and family. In the area of weapons, there are a lot of units you might find interesting, so go give some of our other articles on how to find the best product for your needs a bit of your attention.
If there is anything you would like to tell us, do not hesitate to send us an email or leave a comment! Thanks for reading and as always – stay put!