- Best 6 OWB Holsters Reviews
- Benefits Of Having An OWB Holster
- Material Types
- Types Depending on How You Carry Your Gun
- Features To Look For
- Safety Tips
- Best OWB Holsters Comparison Chart
- Wrap Up
Do you want to protect yourself and your loved ones? Do you enjoy shooting, or is your job related to catching criminals? Then, it is necessary for you to own a holster! Finding the right type of case can be hard. If you want to have quick and easy access to your weapon you should check the best OWB holsters because you might find just the one you need!
It can be challenging to find a holster for your firearms that will fit any pair of pants you own. At the same time, the holster has to be well-retained and flexible. That’s why we have compiled our OWB holster reviews with a buying guide.
Our work will leave you informed and aware of what you want to look for when deciding which type and material suit you the most. All you have to do is read the piece below and find the product matching your requirements. Let’s get started.
- BLACKHAWK! SERPA CQC Concealment Holster
- PRICE $ - $$$$$
- Made of : Injection Molded
- Fits : 4 inch barrel
- HIGHLIGHTS : SERPA lock - Full firing grip for draw
- Winthrop Holsters OWB Pancake Black Leather Holster
- PRICE $$$
- Made of : Hermann Oak Cow Hide
- Fits : 1.5" wide standard gun belt
- HIGHLIGHTS : Wet molded to fit each firearm
- R&R Holsters: OWB Kydex Holster
- PRICE $$
- Made of : .080” Kydex
- Fits : Standard duty belt
- HIGHLIGHTS : Adjustable cant from 0-15 degrees Partial Sweat Guard Backing
- Bravo Concealment Outside The Waistband BCA Gun Holster
- PRICE $$$
- Made of : Kydex
- Fits : Almost every Glock Gun
- HIGHLIGHTS : Can be used for both open and close carry IDPA approved
- CYTAC Taurus G2 Holster
- PRICE $$
- Made of : Polymer
- Fits : Taurus Millennium G2 & G2C PT 111, PT 132, PT 138, PT 140, PT 145, PT 745 Models
- HIGHLIGHTS : Adjustable Tilt Angle Release button
- BLACKHAWK! Serpa Sportster Holster
- PRICE $ - $$$$
- Made of : Polymer
- Fits : Glock 16 or other Glock pistols
- HIGHLIGHTS : SERPA Auto-Lock release technology Casual use or military operations
Best 6 OWB Holsters Reviews
Let us face you with the top list of the finest OWB holsters on the market right now. They aren’t arranged in any specific order. Each one of them would be a great addition to your needs so every choice you make would be excellent.
1 . BLACKHAWK! SERPA CQC Concealment Holster
This very holster comes with a paddle or loop for the belt to thread through. To change out, it just takes removing three screws on the back and switching them out. The paddle seems to keep the holster closer to the body without having to tighten your belt. You can also adjust the cant in a way that is comfortable for you. To be as safe as it is, it uses a button system, which holds the gun.
The button lock on this holster will keep your finger in line and above the trigger, which helps protect you from any accidental firing, unless not from misuse. You can also be sure that no one will be able to grab your gun, because of the 1/5 turn hook this item comes with.
- This one comes with a belt attachment and a paddle.
- Fits a 4-inch barrel.
- It has a full firing grip for drawing, and at the same time when you holster, it has quick retention.
- Because of the adjustable cant, you can move it according to your needs.
- Features SERPA lock.
- It fits a few platforms like Shoulders, Quick Disconnect, S.T.R.I.K.E., and Tactical holster.
- A lot of people can accidentally fire it on a draw and injure themselves.
- The screws aren’t perfect sometimes.
2 . Winthrop Holsters OWB Pancake Black Leather Holster
Leather is a material that wears off after a lot of years. It is also a natural, comfortable material to use. Because of this, in the beginning, the case can be stiff, but it needs only a bit to break in. However, when you do this it’s better to follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Even though this is an OWB type of holster, it is still concealable with a shirt or sweater over it. The trigger is well-guarded thanks to its design. Keep in mind that if you want to re-holster, here you will need both hands to do so.
- Made from Premium Grade Hermann Oak 7-8oz cow Hide, making it extremely durable during usage.
- Because of its 1.5” wide, it fits every standard gun belt.
- Beautiful leather, giving you a feeling of a well-made product.
- Comfortable to use.
- You can place an order for a color different than what they sell, and it will still be delivered to you in a day or two after you’ve placed your order.
- It will not work with a Crimson Trace Green Laser.
- Left-handed holsters are available only via custom orders.
- It’s not very comfortable to wear against bare skin, because the top is unfinished and allows the gun to dig into your skin.
3 . R&R Holsters: OWB Kydex Holster
Are you looking for a comfortable and durable holster, which will not snag every time you walk? You just found it! This OWB Kydex Holster has just the right proportions to do what it is supposed to do, and at the same time, it is delicate enough to keep you a low key and not attract attention. It is handcrafted with a lightweight Kydex material, which is proven to be durable in many conditions.
It comes with a clip on the holster, with which you can easily attach it securely to your belt. Because of the lack of bottom, almost every gun can fit in. Even though there are no retention features added to the holster, the friction fits around the gun is strong enough to keep it in place even when you are jogging or running.
- Made of lightweight material.
- Kydex construction.
- It has been tested and proven to be very durable in many conditions.
- It is very tight, and there is no chance of a flop.
- Because it has an open bottom, it will fit with most of the guns.
- It will fit a standard duty belt.
- Because of its material, it can be quite stiff.
- It might be too big for some preferences.
4 . Bravo Concealment Outside The Waistband BCA Gun Holster
Bravo Concealment Outside Waistband Holster is an excellent example for both concealed and open carry. Because of its simple design, it is a shallow profile, with excellent fit and complete look. Wearing this holster, you do not need to worry that you can be seen carrying a gun.
With 1.5″ belt loops and the adjustable retention, your holster is kept in place. You can quickly go jogging or for a quick run and your holster will stay stable in its place. It has a robust and durable construction, and what is more, it is IDPA approved.
Bravo Concealment Outside Waistband is a holster which will not only keep your gun steady and in place but in the same time will allow you to keep a low profile, because of its size and delicate design. With this Kydex model, you can’t go wrong.
- Perfect for almost every Glock Gun.
- Can be used for both open and close carry.
- It is IDPA approved.
- It comes with a 1.5″ belt loops.
- It is only for the right hand, which may cause problems if you use your left one.
- Doesn’t have an open bottom, which makes it not suitable for every gun.
- Doesn’t come with a magazine holster.
5 . CYTAC Taurus G2 Holster
Are you looking for a useful and yet stylish holster? Congratulations, you found it! Perfect for both concealed and open carry, this holster is a unique combination of civilian and military style. This is a heavy-duty, yet lightweight holster, suitable for almost any compact or full-size gun. And extraordinarily durable and at the same time comfortable holster, due to the specially injected silicone in the Paddle platform.
It has an Adjustable Tilt Angle feature. Just rotate the Paddle or the Holster in the desired angle. Tilt it more, tilt it less, it is up to you and your preferences. And if this is not enough for you, then let us tell you. This Taurus Holster has a unique auto lock System, providing a quick and natural draw, which doesn’t change your normal drawing position.
- High quality, black matte finish polymer material.
- Because of the release button, you can draw quickly and easily.
- Due to the adjustable Tilt Angle feature, you can place it according to your needs.
- Paddle platform, with injected silicone in it, making it comfortable to use.
- Due to the Audible click upon re-holster, the release button is locked safely.
- Loose fitting.
6 . BLACKHAWK! Serpa Sportster Holster
Specially designed for a right-hand, this holster is made of polymer materials, which have been injection-molded. Because of this durable construction, this Holster is meant to last for a lifetime. Another useful feature is that it uses the SERPA Auto-Lock release technology, making it perfectly secure and reliable to use, while you are tactical shooting.
You do not need to worry about the fit of your Glock 16 or other Glock pistols. With Serpa Sportster Holster your gun is secured, but not too tight. Therefore drawing has never been more natural. This way you will have a chance for quicker target acquisition, allowing you to enhance your shooting skills. With this holster, you can be sure that the weapon will securely “click” into place and with the help of your index finger, it is quickly drawn and used. If you are a real fan of Glock Model, then this is the right holster for you.
- Slim and simple design.
- Easy to draw.
- Perfect for both casual use or military operations.
- Good for concealed carry.
- Secure fit.
- Strong and durable.
- Made of polymer materials, making it last longer.
- Retention can be a bit tight.
- No left-hand design
Benefits Of Having An OWB Holster
If you want to learn more about all the other types of holsters and their pros and cons make sure to check our home page, where you can find any information, plus top products on the market at present. Here are our five reasons to own an OWB holster:
- This can be seen both as a pro and a con, but if you are going after a criminal and you know there will be resistance. However, what the drawback is here, being a target for an armed criminal. The moment he sees an open carrier, you become a target. This is a risk you have to consider before going all in!
- These holsters are a good option because of their faster time drawing, firing, and re-holstering. Keep in mind that if you aren’t feeling well about walking around with a handgun at a convenient place, you can conceal it under a jacket, which hides the fact that you are armed.
- One advantage OWB holster has over IWB. It is comfortable because it would choose a holster with adjustable retention and positions to your style of drawing.
- You have more designs to choose from when it comes to open holsters, because they have a small difference in drawing the gun, meaning faster than IWB, they are preferred. This makes manufacturers create more styles for this type, compared to the other.
- You also have added security features which are easily found, such as thumb breaks.
- They are harder to hide, set side by side with inside the waistband holsters, which after all go inside the trousers.
- Your opponent can see the gun you’re going to use, even before the fire has started, which means it prints quickly. However, there are some concealable OWB holsters.
- Usually, OWB holsters are heavier than IWB, which can make a difference, if you are carrying it all day.
Based on materials, you can find holsters made out of:
Leather – has been used for guns for a long time and they are still quite popular. This is due to their toughness and resilience.
- They are comfortable, flexible and follow the shape of your body.
- It makes no noise when you draw your gun out.
- It can take just a bit longer to draw from this holster, compared to Kydex, because of the friction of the material.
- Leather can wear off with time.
- You can sweat through it.
Polymer blend and Kydex – It is a mix of plastic or polymer, which can be molded into specific shapes. They are popular, because of how durable and maintenance free they are. All you have to do when they get dirt on them is wipe them down.
- They don’t lose their form, even when years have passed.
- Compared to other types, they don’t have a “break-in” period.
- It is cheap and light.
- It creates more noise when drawing your gun, unlike leather or nylon.
- The edges and corners can wear off against the finish of the gun.
Nylon – material is quite commonly used in OWB and shoulder holsters. They are usually equipped with features like a shape-retaining stiffener, hook-and-loop fasteners, which helps you customize it and make it easier for you to use.
- They are cheap.
- Just like the leather, they are quiet when drawing your pistol.
- They aren’t as customizable, when it comes to the mold, because they are made to be universal.
- It doesn’t last as long as the others, but if you decide to go with this, the high-denier nylon can wear off slower with time.
- The edges and corners can wear off against the finish of the gun.
- Can be tricky when it comes to IWB and OWB.
These are the two fundamental methods of creating a holster:
- Pancake – the name is because this case is composed of two leathered pieces, stacked like pancakes one over the other.
- Paddle – is a shell made out of plastic; usually, that is paddle-shaped build and fit the backing. There are interesting differences about how the paddle holster and belt slide holster sit on your belt.
Types Depending on How You Carry Your Gun
- IWB – means inside the waistband. They are great if you want to cover your weapon. They are positioned between your underwear and your pants, which keeps the gun close to your body. Due to this, they don’t print as much as other types do, this is of course if you get the right one for your body build. This style of carrying a gun has many subtypes to it as well. To learn more about this take a look to our article about the finest IWB holsters.
- OWB – stands for outside the waistband. This means it’s positioned the opposite way of how IWB was. Some may attach differently, but in most cases, they are anchored to your belt. It is interesting to know how to hide a heater on your belt with an OWB carry. This way you make yourself less of a target for a criminal.
- Belly Band – As the name suggests, you use this when you’re not wearing a belt, and they go around your stomach.
- Shoulder – like the last one, they are pretty self-explanatory, going around the shoulders. The guns are stored around the sides of the ribcage. They are widespread when it comes to off-duty police officers or even undercover. They do have quite a lot of setbacks though.
- Ankle or Leg– the ankle is an excellent spot for a backup gun if you need one. It hides the weapon deeply, and you can get no printing if you wear anything else but tight pants. Meanwhile, leg holsters are when you strap a firearm around your thigh. They are easily accessible from almost any position, but they are hard to hide, unlike the ankle one.
- Pocket – it is hidden inside the pant pockets of the gun holder. If you wanted something small and hidden just like this, you should look into **the best pocket holsters**, to find something that will suit your needs.
- Cross Draw – is positioned on your non-dominant hand. For example, if you are left-handed, this holster would sit on your right leg/hip, letting you crossfire with a second weapon.
- Small Of Back – was made in a way that a person would carry it in the small holster on their back. Designed, so the barrel is aligned with the belt, allowing a quick draw.
There are also some specific holster types because of their features:
- Belt fed/Belt slide – To slide this holster, you need to unbuckle your belt. They are favorited with the open carry and really comfortable, at least more than IWB. They provide easy draw and re-holster.
- Clip – In this case, you have one or more metal clips, which carry your gun case on your belt. The types of holders that go over the belt are preferred, because of how convenient it is to use them, but the clips method isn’t really secure. The metal clips can snap, bend or move, things that aren’t good to have when you are facing a stressful situation.
- Belt Snap – This is somewhat similar to the clips technique, but you have a piece of leather strap, snapped around the belt. In some cases they can lock in either direction, which can make the holster go inside the waistband or outside, concealed or open.
- Thumb Break – You have a reinforced snap on a strap that covers the firearms slide. This thumb break makes it more secure and at the same time still makes it easy for you to draw your weapon. It’s made in a way that all you need is a flick of a thumb and you disengage the snap.
- Sweat Shield/Guard – This is a piece of leather, placed to block the weapon’s slide/hammer from getting in contact with your skin. Usually, OWB and IWB holsters have this. This makes it more comfortable and makes it harder for any sweat to get to the gun.
- Avenger/Scabbard – it is made from 1 folded back piece of leather.
Features To Look For
- Consider something that will fight your style and what you feel comfortable with, for instance where you place it? How do you want to carry it?
- Look for something that is durable, secure and depending on how you will carry it, something easy to use.
- Think about where you are going to use it. It is one thing when you’re patrolling, going around the city, working out or even while being at home. OWB is considered to be probably the best range holster when it comes to range shooting.
- Look at the retention and the durability of the holster. This is something fundamental if you are going to use it daily, however, not as crucial if you are going to use it once a month to the shooting range.
- Adjustability, this can save you both money and nerves. Since everyone has a specific body build, you want to find something that will fit any kinds of pants you have. Some companies have options for low or high ride heights, but that is really inconvenient since you will need two different holsters for those two types of pants!
- Consider the angle of the cant. Some products let you adjust it to your OWB preference. People who enjoy appendix and cross draw carriers will need a negative aspect of the cant, because of the positions.
- If you are searching for a case that you will carry around any times, try finding one that is easy to put on and take off, something that can fit under a range of clothing.
- Comfort ranges from one person to another, and part of that is how you angle the weapon. There are some CCW Positions for concealment and comfort that can help you with tips on how to have your gun in the most comfortable position for you.
- Hybrid and Kydex holders hold the shape of your gun, even when you’ve drawn it out, this makes them easy to re-holster.
- Best hid holsters are: IWB, Pocket, Shoulder, and Ankle.
- It takes more effort to re-holster a leather case, unlike a hybrid or Kydex holsters.
- In speed and efficiency, OWB is better at re-holstering as well, so it doesn’t come down only to the material of the case. Potentially to do that into an inside the waistband holster could even be dangerous, precisely because it is so close to the body that if one thing goes wrong, it is more likely for you to injure yourself.
- With IWB it is hard to get an excellent first grip, which is very important as the whole situation can change based on this. That’s why here OWB takes the win.
Safety is the most important thing. This is why we needed to include some tips on this for you. Here they are:
- Think about every weapon like it’s loaded and ready.
- Do not aim your gun at anything you aren’t prepared to kill.
- Keep your finger straight and off the trigger before you decide to fire. This includes any clothing or just anything that can pull it unintentionally.
- Know what you’re aiming for and what’s beyond it.
Best OWB Holsters Comparison Chart
|BLACKHAWK! SERPA CQC Concealment Holster||$ - $$$$$||Injection Molded||4 inch barrel||SERPA lock - Full firing grip for draw|
|Winthrop Holsters OWB Pancake Black Leather Holster||$$$||Hermann Oak Cow Hide||1.5" wide standard gun belt||Wet molded to fit each firearm|
|R&R Holsters: OWB Kydex Holster||$$||.080” Kydex||Standard duty belt||Adjustable cant from 0-15 degrees Partial Sweat Guard Backing|
|Bravo Concealment Outside The Waistband BCA Gun Holster||$$$||Kydex||Almost every Glock Gun||Can be used for both open and close carry IDPA approved|
|CYTAC Taurus G2 Holster||$$||Polymer||Taurus Millennium G2 & G2C PT 111, PT 132, PT 138, PT 140, PT 145, PT 745 Models||Adjustable Tilt Angle Release button|
|BLACKHAWK! Serpa Sportster Holster||$ - $$$$||Polymer||Glock 16 or other Glock pistols||SERPA Auto-Lock release technology Casual use or military operations|
As you can see, finding the best OWB holster is a hard task to undertake. However, you will be fine as long as you think about: security, safety, and accessibility. That goes along with practice to build up needed reflexes, that will help you draw your weapon fast in any situation.
Thank you for reading our OWB holsters reviews, and we hope you share our team’s piece with everybody you know. In case we have missed anything you find important, do not think twice about reaching out to us by leaving a comment or sending us an email. We appreciate any feedback, and we always answer our readers.
There are a lot more articles we have prepared on the theme of holsters that you can benefit from. If you are interested, check out some of our pieces! Thanks for reading and as always – stay put!